Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Caramel-Drizzled Pumpkin Poke Cake

I stumbled across this recipe today on the Betty Crocker website and it looked like something I would really like to try.... with the exception of a few of my tweaks. The recipe I posted is my version. To get the original recipe you can visit the link below.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/caramel-drizzled-pumpkin-poke-cake/333e0182-66d7-438e-9ae1-1c1cb1b2383f?p=1










Pumpkin Spice Cake

1 box Betty Crocker spice cake mix
1 small box pumpkin spice Jello pudding mix
1/2 can (from 15-oz can) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 cup water
1/3 cup butter, melted
4 eggs

Topping

1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 jars (12oz each) hot fudge topping~ personally, I'm going to make my own fudge topping
1 (8 oz) container Cool Whip
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup caramel topping ~ I'm going to make my own caramel topping too.

1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease or spray bottom of 13x9-inch pan.
2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, pudding mix, pumpkin, water, melted butter , and eggs with electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour into pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
3. Immediately poke cake every inch with handle of wooden spoon halfway into cake. Drizzle condensed milk evenly over top of cake; let stand until milk has been absorbed into cake, about 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place hot fudge in medium microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on High 15 to 30 seconds or until smooth. Spoon and spread over cake, pressing slightly into holes. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled.
5. Spread Cool Whip over top of cake. Sprinkle with pecans.
6. Just before serving, drizzle caramel sauce over each serving of cake. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.

4 comments:

  1. That picture is cracking me up! Can't wait to try some of these myself.

    Last night as we were eating the "Cauldron Cakes" Kristen said..."If Anjella were here she would taste these and say yep, I can make this"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Karmen. Anjella love the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee hee. I know the blog is totally cheese but I figured, if I didn't get it up, no one would be able to use the recipes for Thanksgiving. So..... it is what it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this today for the kiddo's Thanksgiving Party at school. It was a huge hit! As I was trying to collect my cake pan from the school, the teachers were trying to grab a piece on the way out, before it was all gone! I was lucky enough to be able to grab a piece for myself. Let me just tell you, it is super yummo! So, ya, it's a keeper! :)

    ReplyDelete